Year Retired from SJSU
National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, R.O.C., Mechanical Engineering, B.S. 1959
University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada, Mechanical Engineering, M.S., 1963
McGill University, Montreal, Canada, Mechanical Engineering, Ph.D., 1968
San Jose State University (1990-2016), FERP at SJSU (2016- present)
- SJSU-ME: Taught ME130 Engineering analysis (undergraduate) (1990-present), and ME230 Advanced Engineering analysis (graduate) from (1990 to 2005 approx.)
- SJSU-ME: ME101 Dynamics (1995-2001(approx.), ME160 Finite Element Analysis (2005-2007 approx,) and ME157 ME Systems Design (undergraduate level in 2000 approx.), ME 189 Design and Manufacture of MEMS and Microsystems (undergraduate, 2004-2006, 2008 approx.) ME195a&b Senior Design Projects: Guided and supervised student teams projects in clean renewable energies (solar and wind powers) and affordable electric vehicles for urban transportation (1992-2016.
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada (1972-1990)
- Taught courses at the University of Manitoba: Engineering Analysis (undergraduate level, 1971-1990) and Finite Element Method in Thermomechanics (Graduate level 1975 approx.)
Administrative and Professional Experience
Department Chair at SJSU, ME Department for three 4-year terms (1990-1994, 1994-1998, and 2011-2016), with an average 13 F/T faculty and 350 FTES.
Department Head of ME Department at University of Manitoba, Canada (July 1, 1986-June 30,1990), with 27 F/T faculty, 18 supporting staff and 500 F/T students.
Appointed as Honorable Visiting Chair professors by the National Science Council of Taiwan government at his alma mater in Tainan, Taiwan after stepping down from his first 2 terms of office of Chairmanship at the SJSU in 1998, and served the honorable Kuang-Biao High Tech Chair professor at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou on MEMS and microsystem design, manufacture and packaging in China in 2007.
Appointed to be a senior advisor to the top management team at the Industrial Technology Research Institute of Taiwan government (1999-2011).
- Served the SJSU Senate Committee on Professional Standards (2001-2006, approx.)
- Served as the Editor of the Journal of Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology of the International Electric and Electronics Institute (IEEE-CPMT) (2001-2011).
- Invited by the Ministry of Education of the Taiwan government to lead a team of 10 other experts to evaluate the accomplishment of one of the three designated universities in the country on their educational and research performance on their spending their special development grants of up to $50 million NT$ in a variety programs in the previous 3 years (July 2007)
- Served the Design Engineering Committee of the ASME (2001-2005, approx.)
- Served as a contributing member of the Design Engineering Division of the ASME. Organized a half dozen special sessions on Design Engineering at the Annual IMECE Conferences sponsored by the ASME.(2000-2006)
- Invited by the Undergraduate Education Division of the NFL to evaluate and recommend grants to faulty of American Universities in the winters of 1992 and 2001.
- Appointed to be a member of the Grant Selection Committee of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) by the Canadian government (1987-1989.. NSERC is an equivalent of the NSF of the USA), and was later elected to be the Chair of the ME Grant Selection Committee with the NSERC with an annual budget of $3.5 million. After his term was expired in 1989, he continued being assigned to evaluate and recommend several major mission-oriented grants by the NSERC till the end of that Century.
- Published 8 and edited 2 research and textbooks by major publishers in the USA (see CV - HSU grants & pubs)
- Total no. of publication count is 121 technical papers published through refereed systems (List of publication available on request)
Download Curriculum Vitae (229 KB)