School of Information Systems and Technology, Lucas College of Business
Year Retired from SJSU
Facebook or Website URL
SelectedWorks Profile Page
University of NC at Chapel Hill, Computer Science, Ph.D. 1990
University of NC at Chapel Hill, Computer Science, M.S. 1982
University of NC at Chapel Hill, Library Science, M.S. 1977
Duke University, Chemistry, B.A. 1974
A Reference and Planning Model for an Online Catalog
Lucas College and Graduate School of Business, School of Information Systems and Technology, San Jose State University, Lecturer. 2002-2019
University of California, Santa Cruz, Univ. Extension. Instructor. 1994-2005
Administrative and Professional Experience
The Sawyer Partnership, Principal. 1993-
Silicon Valley Small Business Development Center, Business Counselor. 2005-2011
Tandem Computers, Program Manager. 1989-1993
Triangle Research Libraries Network, Director. 1984-1988
Northern California Spelmanslag, President. 1997-present.
The Tech Interactive, Tech Challenge, Judge annually 2015-present.
Sawyer, J. (2004). Problem Solving. In (W. Davis Folsom, Ed.) Encyclopedia of American Business. New York: Facts On File Publishing.
Sawyer, J. (2002). Problem Solving Success Tips. Published in:
- Business & Economic Review, Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina, April- June 2002.
- The Quality Management Forum, ASQ Quality Management Forum, Fall 2001.
- The Professional Journal, AFSMI, September 2001.
- HDI News, Help Desk Institute, August/September 2001.
- PM Globe, Project Management Institute, August 2001.
- Supportgate, Service & Support Professionals Assoc., September 2001.
- Newsletter, Baltimore Section, ASQ, Sept. 2002.
Sawyer, J. (2001). When Stuff Happens: A Practical Guide to Solving Problems Permanently. San Jose: The Sawyer Partnership.
Sawyer, J. (1998, December). Leveraging a Crisis. The Professional Journal.
Sawyer, J. (1997, April). Managing Yourself and Your Vendors to Avoid a Crisis. The Professional Journal, April 1997. Also in High-Technology Services
Sawyer, J. (1997, October-December). Partnership by Design. Business and Economic Review.
Sawyer, J. (1994. September).“Stuff” doesn’t just happen: using the truth to prevent unwanted incidents and speed recovery. The Professional Journal.
Sawyer, J. (1994. February). Solving the Right Problem: Using Metrics Effectively. High-Technology Services Management. Also in The Professional Journal, February 1994.
Sawyer, J. (various dates). Problem Solving Tip-of-the-Month. Published periodically as a column at various times, for example in:
- PM Globe (Project Management Institute, Silicon Valley Chapter),
- HDI News (Help Desk Institute),
- S-Business (AFSMI),
- SSPA News (Service & Support Professionals Assoc.), et al.