Osland, Joyce S.
School of Global Innovation & Leadership
Professor, Lucas Endowed Professor of Global Leadership, 2006-2020
Year Retired from SJSU
SelectedWorks Profile Page
Case Western Reserve University, 1990 Ph.D.
University of Washington, 1972 MSW
Social Welfare, University of Minnesota, 1970 B. A.
San Jose State University, 2002-2020
University of Portland, 1992-2002
INCAE, Central American Institute of Business Administration, 1989-1992
Case Western Reserve University, 1988-1989
Administrative and Professional Experience
Executive Director, Global Leadership Advancement Center (GLAC), SJSU, 2007-2020
Co-founded GLAC; the GLLab; Global Leader Speaker Series; Social Innovation Leadership Forum; Global Leadership Passport Program; Global Leadership Gateway Workshops; Minor in Global Leadership & Innovation; Certificate in Advanced Global Leadership and directed all but the minor, 2008-2020.
Established and taught the Global Leadership Exchange Program with Leuphana University, Germany; 2008-2020
- Osland, J., & Bird, A. (2000). Beyond Sophisticated Stereotyping: Cultural Sensemaking in Context. Academy of Management Executive, 14(1): 65-77.
- Osland, J. (2003). Broadening the Debate: The Pros and Cons of Globalization. Journal of Management Inquiry, 12(2): 137-154.
- Oddou, G., Osland, J., & Blakeney, R. (2009). Repatriating Knowledge: Variables Influencing the “Transfer” Process. Journal of International Business Studies 40, 181–199.
- Adler, N., & Osland, J. (2016). Women Leading Globally: What We Know, Thought We Knew, and Need to Know about Leadership in the 21st Century. Women Shaping Organizations and Society in the 21st Century. Advances in Global Leadership, 9, 15-56.
- Reiche, S., Bird, A., Mendenhall, M., & Osland, J. (2017) Contextualizing Leadership: A Typology of Global Leadership Roles. Journal of International Business Studies, 48: 552-572.
- Szkudlarek, B., Nardon, L., Osland, J., Adler, N., & Lee, E. (2019) When context matters: What happens to international theory when researchers study refugees. Academy of Management Perspective, Published online 11 Sep 2019
- M. Mendenhall, J. Osland, A. Bird, G. Oddou, M. Maznevski, M. Stevens & G. Stahl. (2018). Global Leadership: Research, Practice, and Development. 2nd Edition. London: Routledge.
- Osland, J. (senior editor) (2014, 2016, 2017, 2019-2021). Advances in Global Leadership, vol. 8-13. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
Download Contemporary Cross Cultural Management (62 KB)