Year Retired from SJSU
UC Berkeley, History, 1970 Ph.D.
San Jose State University, 1958 BA; 1960 MA
UC Riverside, 1955-57
Chaffey Junior College, 1952-54 AA
The Italian Fascist Image of the United States
- Humanities Dep’t., San Jose State, 1968-98.
- Tutorials Experimental Program, 1969-71; organized and tutored the Spring Semester Abroad in Rome, Italy (28 students), 1971.
- History Dep’t., San Jose State University, 1965-67.
- Teaching Assistant, UC Berkeley, 1961-3; 1964-65.
- Internship, Foothill College, JC Teaching Credential, 1960.
Administrative and Professional Experience
San Jose State University
- Chairman, Department of Humanities, 1995-98
- Coordinator, Humanities Honors Program, 1972-95
- Committee Service: Department (Curriculum, 1972-98, Personnel, 1978-79, Library, 1973-78); College (Curriculum, 1972-3; RTP, 1974-79); University (Academic Senate, 1988-89; RTP 1992-94).
- Chairman, Faculty Book Talks Program, 1983-85.
National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Seminar Awards
- “Interpretations of Fascism,” Yale University, w/Prof. Henry Turner, 1982
- “Culture and Politics in Europe in the Era of the Liberal Crisis, 1880-1945,” UCLA, w/Prof. Robert Wohl, 1981
- “Europe in the Age of Fascism,” Vanderbilt University, w/Prof. Charles Delzell, 1978.
- SJSU Emeritus and Retired Faculty Association, 1999-2019 (Membership Chair, 1999-2006; President, 2001-02; Newsletter Editor, 2006-19).
- SJSU Chorale and Symphony Silicon Valley Chorale, 1991-2009 (President, 2001-02).
- Amici d’Oro, 1999-Present (President, 2002-03; Program Chairman, 2003-08, 2010-Present).
- Experimental pilot programs (Humanities 160-161), w/ Prof. John Sperling, providing university outreach to the local community: Sunnyvale Public Safety Officers (Summer, 1973); Alum Rock High School students (Summer, 1974).
- Student-Community Involvement Program (SCIP): supervised students and was an active member of the Speakers Bureau, 1969-70.
- Council for a Coalition Against Poverty (CCAP), a non-partisan research organization that recruited our tutorial students to survey the needs and priorities of the people of Alviso, w/Dorothy Ellenberg, 1969-70.
- Countless speeches and talks to local service organizations, churches, community groups on politics, history, culture and the arts, 1965-2019.
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT), Vice President, 1969-70.
- Bernardini, Gene, “The Origins and Development of Racial Anti-Semitism in Fascist Italy,” Journal of Modern History, Vol. 49 (September, 1977): 421-53;
- Bernardini, Gene, “Anti-Semitism,” Historical Dictionary of Fascist Italy, Philip Cannistraro, (ed., Anthology), Greenwood Press, 1982, 28-30.
- Bernardini, Eugene, proofed and reviewed A Study of American History, 1877-Present, Vol. II, Dushkin Publishers, 1973.